How to Keep Personal Flowers Looking Their Best
Hooray! You just took home some rad Native Poppy flowers! Now what?
“Personal Flowers” for special events (like bouquets, boutonnières, corsages, and flower crowns) are front and center in the photos of your happiest days. They're also the blooms that get a bit more of a workout than your average flower arrangement.
Especially in the case of boutonnières, corsages, and flower crowns, personal flowers cannot be stored in water throughout the day, and they may be exposed to sun and wind. This puts your blooms under added stress, but don’t fret! Here’s our recommended care instructions to keep your flowers fresh ‘til their big debut, plus tips to make sure they’re camera ready.
Bouquet Care Instructions:
Your bouquet will come in a glass vase with water. Keep the stems of your blooms in water until it is time to bring out your bouquet. You do not need to refrigerate your flowers, but please keep them out of direct sunlight or heat, which can wilt delicate petals. When it's time to go, remove your flowers from the water, and blot the bottom of the stems with a towel to avoid dripping on your attire.
Pro-tip: If your bouquet is not being used for an hour or more, give your blooms a drink! Place them back in water when not in use to improve longevity.
How to Hold a Flower Bouquet:
Here are our tips to help your flowers shine and look their best in photos!
- Hold your bouquet at belly button height.
- Tilt the bouquet forward slightly so the blooms are facing the camera.
- Keep the ribbon’s knot and trailing chiffon facing away from you.
Boutonnière Care Instructions:
Keep your cute bout' in the provided box until it's time to attach it to your outfit. If possible, keep in the refrigerator; if refrigeration is unavailable, keep in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat.
How to Attach a Boutonnière:
Note: you may need assistance from a friend!
- Open your boutonnière box, and remove the two pins placed in the chiffon. Set the pins down in the box so they don't roll away.
- Place the boutonnière on the lapel of the jacket at approximately heart height, or wherever fits best for the clothing design.
- With your non-dominant hand, hold the flowers in place.
- Stick a pin through the back of the lapel, away from the person wearing it.
- Push the pin through the stems and back through the lapel.
- The tip of the pin should hide between the lapel and front of the jacket.
- Repeat with the second pin to secure.
Pocket Boutonnière Care Instructions:
Keep your bout' cool ‘til it's time to head to your special event! Leave your pocket boutonnière inside the provided box in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight and heat. You may opt to store your pocket boutonnière in the fridge, taking care not to dampen the chiffon-wrapped card. /p>
How to Attach a Pocket Boutonnière:
Unlike traditional boutonnières, pocket boutonnières require no pins.
- Remove the pocket boutonnière from the provided box.
- With your non-dominant hand, open the jacket's chest pocket.
- Insert the chiffon-wrapped card into the pocket.
- The flowers will stick out of the pocket as if they're growing from within!
Corsage Care Instructions:
Keep your corsage in its box until it's time to wear it to your special event. If possible, store in the refrigerator; if refrigeration is unavailable, keep in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat.
How to Put on a Corsage:
Note: you may need assistance from a friend!
- Open the box and remove your corsage.
- Untie the chiffon ribbon bow.
- Insert your hand between the corsage and the chiffon ribbon.
- Adjust the corsage to a comfortable place on your wrist.
- Tie the two pieces of chiffon together firmly enough to stay in place.
- Flip your wrist upside down, so a bow can more easily be tied.
- You can double knot or bow your chiffon for security, if you choose.
Flower Crown Care Instructions:
Keep your crown in the box until it's time to wear it. If possible, keep in the refrigerator; if refrigeration is unavailable, keep in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat.
How to Put on a Flower Crown:
- Open the box and remove your crown.
- Locate the hooked ends of the crown or attached chiffon
- Turn the crown so that the hooks are placed on the back of your head.
- Place the crown on your head so the flowers line up along your hairline, or wherever feels most comfortable to you.
- If the crown needs to be tightened, remove the crown and locate the hooked ends or attached chiffon; tighten in small increments, trying the crown on again until it fits snug on your head.
- Rock your blooms and party away, Wild Flower!